Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Same Routine with a New Friend Mixed in

It's wednesday evening, and once again, I can barely keep my eyes open. The rest of my weekend consisted of meeting the majority of the group at Manometro on Saturday night. Afterwards a smaller group of us went to another bar, and an even smaller group of us hit the disco Cameron. The music wasn't spectacular and the average age was a little higher than we like, so maren and I left at 4 leaving the last four girls at Cameron.

Sunday was a perfect day weather wise. After we finally got out of bed at 2 and ate lunch, we walked down to the bus station so Maren could purchase her bus ticket to Madrid to pick up her friend, and I bought my bus tickets to portugal a week from tomorrow. I also spent much of the day planning my parents' europe excursion.

Monday I was gone for 13 hours. I left as the sun came up for my internship and returned after the sun had set. At my internship, I tied things up the the titrator so that we can start doing trials and helped with some procedures in the lab. After I headed back from my internship, I met some girls to buy train/bus tickets to madrid tomorrow for our trip to the Spanish island of Mallorca. Dead tired I got home and met Maren's best friend, Maddie. She will be here for almost 2 weeks and is going to Mallorca with us this weekend. Maren is staying with her in her hostal to calm Maddie's parents a bit about their baby in Spain. So I've got the room to myself :D Regina had to play tennis so Maren and i cooked hamburgers for supper. Speaking of which, there is a hamburger sauce here that we always put on our sandwiches that supposedly is american style. It even says "made the american way" on the bottle. I'm going to be honest: i've never tasted anything like it in my life. Not that I'm complaining. It's very good but i wouldn't call it an american sauce.

Yesterday I went to class and my internship. At the internship, I continued a lab procedure, and began translating another magazine article. The funny thing about this arcticle is that i'm 90% sure that it was originally written in Spanish, translated to English and French, and then published in English and French. My reason for thinking this is the author is Spanish and there are sentences that don't make sense and words used in a different way than we use them in english. So basically I'm translating it back to it's original language. I would be very interested to compare the original work with my translation. It would be like the game phone. See how much it changes after it goes through so many people. I could really discover what gets "lost in translation" hehe. Maren wanted to take Maddie to Big House so she sent a message to the group saying we were going. Guess how many came? 14 in total! Good thing we didn't go to the massage place THIS time on accident. They pulled tables together so we all fit. I had Lomo de Pato con Verduras Salteados. Which basically means the back meat of duck with sauteed vegetables. It was amazing. It had a sweet sauce on top as well that was fantastic. I am now a fan of duck. I then went to Maren and Maddie's room and hung out for a while. I went to bed pretty late so I didn't get much sleep.

Today, my alarm went off way too early but I managed to roll out of bed and make it to class. I came home for lunch since I had a 3 hours break and had fried fish and soup. Both were delicious. I then packed for Mallorca because I plan on taking my things with me to class tomorrow and going straight to the train station. I then headed to my internship where I continued translating the article. I then met Maren and Maddie at the mall to go to Eroski (kind of like Hyvee) to by some snacks for the train tomorrow. Our mom is also making us all sandwiches as well for tomorrow. Tomorrow I also have my first exam here. I'm not too concerned after the review today. And in reality, i'm an engineering major; I'm not worried about a 10 question exam in spanish. The 3 classes here combined are easier than one engineering class. I will definitely do some reviewing just to be sure.

So when it gets to be friday around, oh, 9am in the US, just picture me laying on a beach towel in the sand soaking up the sun. And yes mom, I will wear sunscreen.

No comments:

Post a Comment